Recent Commercial Posts
Keeping your restaurant carpets CLEAN
Your restaurant’s nightly checklist must be followed to the letter in order to keep your business in great shape and ready for the next business day. Every item must be thoroughly washed and sparkling clean daily; the kitchen flooring, stovetops and ovens, utensils, pots and coffee makers…. And then there’s the front of house - bathrooms, host stand, and bar area with all your glassware that needs attention. But you and your team have it all handled, every day.
A lot of restaurants have hardwood, which must be frequently maintained because of things like high heels, spills and scratches. That’s why some businesses choose to carpet their floors. A nightly vacuum and some spot treatment can do wonders when it comes to mold prevention and other issues, but a deep clean is also a necessity occasionally to maintain the carpets colouring and improve customers outlook on your business. Because of this, it is important to have deep cleaning on your cleaning checklist!
Here at SERVPRO of Ajax, we are equipped to handle the toughest carpet cleaning jobs. Our business is experienced with cleanups from fire and water damage in both homes and large commercial enterprises, and mold remediation is one of our specialties!
Why keeping your business clean should be a priority
Those shows about failing businesses and restaurants are often entertaining and even humorous, at least to us as viewers. But they also highlight an essential detail that businesses, and not just restaurants, sometimes overlook: a clean work area. Though it might not be your biggest priority when it comes to your business, it sends a powerful message to both staff and customers. Here is a list of some of the benefits to workplace cleanliness:
- It reduces the need to replace supplies and equipment as often.
- It can help you find and fix damages before they becomes a problem
- It can help employees avoid illnesses and positively affect morale.
- It gives your business an image and reputation of trustworthiness
Call us here at SERVPRO of Ajax for help with all your commercial cleaning needs. We are experienced in cleanup after water and fire damage, and mold remediation is one of our specialties! Our phone number is: 289-560-5124.
Why Your Business Should Have an ERP
As Alexander Graham Bell once said, “Before anything else, preparation is the key to success.” This advice can easily be applied to all aspects of life, including your business. Anything from water damage to fire damage to storm damage can completely overhaul a business. 50% of businesses are devastated so much by these disasters that they cannot reopen. The other 50% are able to jump back into action because they are ready.
An ERP (Emergency Ready Plan) Is a way to prepare for these disasters before they strike. It is carefully devised, well-rehearsed strategy that tells you and your employees exactly what to do during an emergency. Knowing exactly what to do what you can expect in advance can help save your business from costly repairs. Your ERP includes:
- A no cost assessment of your facility
- A concise profile document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency
- A guide to help you get back into your business following a disaster
- Establishes SERVPRO of Ajax as your disaster and mitigation and restoration
- Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin which saves you time and gets you back into business faster
- Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information
Learn more at https://ready.SERVPRO.com/home/gettingstarted, or call us at 519-460-5124.
How to Prepare your Employees for a Fire
A fire is never something you expect to happen in your building, however it is something that strikes commercial buildings daily. With that being said, it is important to make sure your employees/tenants are ready in case a fire happens to occur.
First, it is vital that you have an Emergency Action Plan in place. This plan frameworks your employees’ responsibilities during any type of emergency – including a fire. Your Emergency Action Plan should contain:
- Escape route map: Print out a map of your building and highlight the primary and secondary exits, the routes accessible for those who might be disabled. And where to assemble once safely evacuated outside of the building. Point out where fire alarm pull stations are located, as well as fire extinguishers and any other key items that are important in any emergency.
- Evacuation policies and procedures: This should outline evacuation routes, crowd control policies, how to assist people with disabilities and how to report fires.
- Special Staff’ Responsibilities: Decide where to draw the line on instructing employees to use fire extinguisher (if fire is small and contained) or to evacuate immediately. Some commercial offices require designated staff to stay behind to shut down critical plant operations for example. Make sure these procedures are in place if necessary.
We must always be prepared in case fire strikes, but preventative measures are always the best to know, to help prevent a fire before it can even start.
- Keep up with routine maintenance.
- Make sure there is enough ventilation when utilizing any cleaning products.
- Get rid of any card board boxes/pallets regularly as pile ups tend to happen. This is a breeding ground for fire.
- Make sure all hallways and emergency exits are clear just in case an emergency strikes and evacuation is necessary.
In order for your employees to be well aware of fire procedures and policies, ensure they are put through the right training such as
- Fire extinguisher training
- Shut down procedures (may not apply to all)
- Fire Drills
How to Prevent Water Damage to your Commercial Business
As demonstrated by the recent flooding in Toronto and surrounding areas, water can seriously damage property. The cost to fix water damage can be very expensive and in some cases not covered by your insurer. That is why it is always best to take the preventative measures to protect your business property from any sort of water damage. Here are three helpful tips on how to go about protecting your business.
- Research information
- Your municipality’s website might have info on flood and sewer back-up prevention programs whose costs may be tax-deductible.
- Sewer back-up prevention
- Disconnect weeping tiles and install a backwater valve and sump pump
- Make sure there’s a secondary energy source (battery or generator) for your sump pump in case of power failure
- Detach the foundation drain from the sanitary sewer
- Disconnect the eaves troughs and foundation drains from the sewer system
- Waterproof building structures
- Regularly inspect your roof and eaves troughs
- Regularly inspect walls and windows
- Check basements for mold, water staining, cracks in the walls and make sure drainage systems are working properly
- Check plumbing regularly to make sure theres no leaking fixtures/joints, and irrigation systems aren’t spraying water on foundation walls
- Make sure the fixtures attached to exterior walls are waterproofed, and drain any standing water on the exterior
- Make sure any inventory is kept off the ground in water/air proof containers whenever possible
How to Prevent Mold in a Commercial Building
When owning a commercial property, mold isn’t a top priority when it comes to all the other stuff that goes into it. However, when ignored for so long, mold can become one of your major problems without you knowing it. That’s why you should brush up on preventative measures, to ensure you don’t run into the costly problem of mold.
- Stay vigilant: Mold can be sneaky, growing in places you may never have thought. Create a routine inspection plan, specifically searching for signs of mold or where mold might grow: damp surfaces, high moisture areas, spotty or fuzzy stains on walls, floors, and carpeting, and musty smells. If you employ janitorial staff or contract this work out, request to be notified of any moldy areas or areas where mold could grow.
- Make repairs: Cracked foundations, leaky roofs, and unsealed windows and door frames are all problems ready to cause mold to grow. Repair building issues as soon as they occur, and always try to catch leaks and water damage before the wetness can lead to a moldy disaster.
- Decrease moisture: The climate or geographic location in which your commercial building resides may mean humidity is always at a high. Since damp air makes it easy for mold to grow, consider installing dehumidifiers, or running smaller units in basements, attics, and such to help keep things dry.
- Clean at the core: Your building’s heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) can increase the blowing around of mold spores. While it may not be 100 percent stoppable, you can reduce the transfer of spores by making sure the HVAC system and ducts are regularly cleaned and maintenance.
- Bring in a pro: Every commercial building’s needs are different, so sometimes to effectively prevent mold from growing, you need a mold remediation specialist, such as SERVPRO® of Ajax to custom tailor a plan to fit your structure. Working with a mold remediation specialist can help ensure that any existing problems are responded to quickly and that moving ahead, you’ll stay free and clear of mold-related damage and health concerns.
SERVPRO of Ajax’s Commercial Resources
When looking for cleanup for your business, we at SERVPRO of Ajax can help with our commercial resources. Whether it is cleanup after a disaster or mold remediation, we help GTA businesses get back to conducting business as usual, as fast as possible. Nobody likes a disaster of any kind, and we are here to help you through it.
Lost time in cleanup for water or fire damage is better spent in your doing productive work for increased business opportunities. As professionals in the GTA, we are nearby and ready to help with disaster cleanup. Our expertise can help you through our extensive commercial resources:
Water Damage Restoration
Flooding and water damage seem to happen at the most inconvenient times. We know that and can help you get back to work with our:
- 24-hour emergency service
- Highly trained water damage specialists
- Restoration know-how
No matter the location of the water damage, whether in a small office building or big box store, SERVPRO of Ajax will respond quickly to mitigate the damage and manage the restoration project through to its completion to ensure your business is up and running again as quickly as possible. Our technicians have the training and certifications they need to handle your restoration needs, no matter the size.
Fire Damage Restoration
Lost productivity is the biggest result of fire and smoke damage. With firefighting systems, water damage may also occur from water used. As a trusted leader in fire and water damage restoration, SERVPRO of Ajax knows the ins and outs of fire damage and the extra damage that can come with it and are well-equipped to handle it, including:
- Fire and Smoke Restoration
- Odor Control
- Upholstery & Fabric Cleaning
- Water Damage Restoration
Because mold, whether from a leak or plumbing, can cause serious problems and health risks to those who enter your business, give us a call at SERVPRO of Ajax to discuss how we can manage it as we work fast to address the mold. We work fast to contain the mold growth and prevent it from spreading further. Our technicians are well-trained, including:
- Applied Microbial Remediation Specialists
- Water Damage Restoration Technicians
- Applied Structural Drying Technicians
We address everyday soil and grime that are beyond the scope of your janitorial staff.
Storm and Major Events
Whether you need our elite large-loss specialists who work with the hospitality industry, universities and property managers, or you have damage from a storm, wind and rain, we can help. With our 24-hour emergency service, we will be there quickly to assess and fix the damage. Moreover, we work with your insurance to make the process as seamless as possible.
Here at SERVPRO of Ajax, we have the experience, knowledge, and expertise necessary to help you with any mold damage or preventive practices. We are also available for cleanup after fire and water damage.
3 Ways to Prepare your Commercial Property for a Storm
When strong storms sweep into the General Toronto Area, they can wreak havoc on your commercial property. This can be distressing, as high winds, heavy rain and flood water could cause thousands of dollars in damage to your building and its inventory. However, if you know a storm is inevitable, there are a few strategies you can use to prepare and possibly minimize the damage.
- Back Up All Your Data
Your company’s data can be destroyed in a flash if it is stored in the basement of a flooded building. Paper archives can be especially vulnerable, so you may want to take time to move boxes or file cabinets to a safe location where the information can be transformed into electronic data and stored in the cloud. Avoid archiving information in company computers, especially those on the ground floor and vulnerable to flood water. In fact, you might be better off moving any company computers to a higher floor, if possible.
- Remove Items from the Floor
Inventory, machinery and valuable company tools that sit at ground level can be susceptible to water damage. You may want to remove these items from the building or put them up on high, stable shelving. Heavier machinery can be lifted onto stacked wooden pallets, which may keep them dry and unharmed during flooding.
- Have a Restoration Plan in Place
It can be difficult to gauge how much damage your business may suffer before a flood, so it is wise to have a restoration plan in place before a disaster happens. Contact your local flood damage and mitigation service to discuss what the company’s technicians can do for you if your building takes on damage. Discuss possible services like odor cleanup and mold mitigation.
Flood water and high winds in the GTA, can damage your commercial building and put you in serious debt. However, careful planning and having a mitigation and restoration strategy in place may help you come through a flood with the least possible amount of damage.
Restoring Your Ajax Commercial Property After A Water Damage Event
Flooding and water damage events at Ajax commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Ajax
SERVPRO of Ajax specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.